Myanmar, one of the most beautiful countries of Southeast Asia. A land filled with stupas, pagodas, stunning nature and unexplored towns. As Myanmar only opened its borders to tourism earlier this decade, you will still find large areas of Myanmar unexplored and tourism rising every year. Visit the famous Bagan, to see the sun rise over endless temple fields, or perhaps take a boat ride over Inle Lake to see the traditional fishermen. From touristic destinations to off the beaten path places, Myanmar has it all. To help you create your perfect Myanmar itinerary, here is the ultimate Myanmar Bucket List, including 60+ amazing things to do in Myanmar.
Things to do in Yangon
Yangon, Myanmar’s former capital, is a city that you cannot leave of your Myanmar itinerary. Explore the different neighborhoods while experiencing the hustle and bustle of Myanmar’s largest city. Yangon is a city that could easily keep you busy for days, if not weeks as there are so many things to do in Yangon! Check out some suggestions of things that should be on your Myanmar bucket list below…
1. Ride the circle train to discover Yangon’s unexplored neighborhoods.
2. See the sun rise at the Shwedagon Pagoda, the pagoda that dominates Yangon’s skyline.
3. Head to over the 19th street in China town to try the amazing street food. From bbq’ed fish, tofu, corn and rice, you can find it all on 19th street.
4. Escape Yangon’s hustle and bustle, go for a walk in Kandawgyi Park.
5. Admire the independence monument in Maha Bandula Park and stop by the Sule Pagoda at the busy roundabout.
6. Take a stroll through the hectic China Town to experience local life and to find some of the most delicious food and snacks.
7. Go shopping for handicrafts, jewelry, antiques, clothing and so much more at the Bogyoke Aung San Market.
8. Learn about Burmese art, history and culture at the National Museum of Myanmar.
9. See one of the largest reclining buddhas of Myanmar at the Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple.
10. Vist the Botahtaung Pagoda in downtown Yangon, near the river.
Things to do in South Myanmar
While many travelers and tourist head North after exploring the former capital of Yangon, Myanmar’s South should not be forgotten, and is the ultimate destination of the off the beaten path travelers. Explore small towns, beautiful beaches and islands. The South of Myanmar is not the easiest place to travel, but it might make the most rewarding part of your journey. Read here some of the most bucket list worthy items of South Myanmar…
11. Go cave exploring in Hpa An, many of which are filled with buddha statues. Be sure to include the bat cave and the Kawgun Cave into your itinerary!
12. While visiting Hpa An be sure to climb all the way up to Mount Zwegabin for the most spectacular view in Hpa An.
13. Explore Mawlamyine, the fourth largest city in Myanmar!
14. When visiting Mawlamyine be sure to visit Myanmar largest reclining buddha outside Mawlamyine. Win Sein Taw Ya is 30m high and 180m long, making it one of the largest reclining buddhas in the world.
15. Find paradise at Dawei Beach and relax for a couple of days before doing more exploring in the South of Myanmar.
16. Travel down South to the Mergui Archipelago, a collection of hundreds of islands.
17. See the sun rise at the Kyaiktiyo Pagoda also known as the Golden Rock.
Things to do in Bagan
Bagan is the sole reason thousands of travelers and tourists make their way to Bagan on a yearly basis. To see those magical Bagan plains, filled with hundreds of temples, as far as the eye can see. While Bagan absolutely can’t be missed on your Myanmar itinerary, it sure is not the only bucket list worthy item in Myanmar. And while seeing the sun rise over Bagan is nice, be sure to take a couple of days here as there are a couple more things to do in Bagan…
18. See the plains of Bagan, filled with temples, from a different perspective and go for a hot air balloon ride over Bagan.
19. Visit the temple on top of Mount Popa, but to get there you will have to climb 700+ steps and brave the monkeys.
20. Get up early to see the sun rise over Bagan’s beautiful temples.
21. Rent a bicycle or e bike to go and explore the many temples and stupas of Bagan’s plains.
22. Go for a sun set boat ride on the Irrawaddy river.
23. Taste some of the delicious local food, such as the famous Burmese tea leaf salad.
24. Go shopping at the many little shops that you can find at the temples and in town for the best handicrafts, postcards and the most beautiful handmade lacquerware.
25. Is the Burmese cuisine not for you, don’t worry, head to the Weather Spoon for the best western food in town!
26. Take a break from temple hopping and visit a monastery in Bagan.
27. End your perfect day by finding a temple to watch the sun set over the Bagan plains.
Things to do in Ngapali
Explored some of most Myanmar’s most beautiful sights? Now it is time to do some relaxing, and where better to relax then at paradise like beaches. Ngapali is a true dream destination, especially for beach lovers. Romantic sunsets or perhaps under water adventures? Ngapali has it all. Read below which things to do in Ngapali you should put on your Myanmar bucket list!
28. Explore the Ngapali and the most beautiful spots by bicycle!
29. Take a break from temple exploring, getting up early to hike to viewpoints and simply relax at the beach.
30. See the sun set at the beach, the most perfect way to end the day.
31. Go on a boat trip to go snorkeling or diving near and discover Ngapali’s beautiful underwater world.
32. Explore the pretty city of Thandwe to see the market and some of the beautiful pagodas.
33. Feeling adventurous? Go kayaking!
34. And last, but definitely not least of the things to do in Ngapali, explore the nearby fishing villages!
Things to do in Mandalay
Mandalay, a city that is home to some of the most beautiful locations of Myanmar. From white pagodas, waterfalls, scenic views to beautiful viewpoints. Mandalay is often rushed by many travelers, eager to make their way to the next destination, while it actually has so much to offer. Explore Mandalay’s surroundings or the town it self, here are the most bucket list worthy things to do in Mandalay…
35. Take a refreshing dive in the beautiful Anisakan Falls, located near Pyin Oo Lwin.
36. See the most magical sun set over Mandalay from Mandalay Hill.
37. Visit the lesser known Mahamuni Buddha Temple.
38. Take a walk over the 1.2km long U Bein Bridge, or catch a sunrise from the lake on a boat instead!
39. Visit the Kuthodaw Pagoda at the foot of Mandalay Hill.
40. Visit the last palace of the Burmese Monarchy at Mandalay Palace.
41. Explore Mandalay’s outskirts and see Mingun Pahtodawgyi an incomplete monument stupa.
42. While there, be sure to check out the Mingun Bell, known to be the second largest bell in the world with a weight of 90 tons.
43. Walk through the hundreds of shrines at the Sandamuni Pagoda.
44. Awe at one of the most beautiful pagodas in Mandalay, the Hsinbyume Pagoda.
45. Head to Pyin Oo Lwin to explore the town for the weekend.
46. Take a relax day at head over to the Dee Doke Waterfall for a swim in a picture perfect blue waterfall.
Things to do in the Shan State
The Shan state, especially the Northern part of the Shan state, is on many countries list of places to “avoid while traveling” . However, many travelers and tourist decide to take the risk and to explore some of the more off the beaten path locations of Myanmar. Shan state is popular for the tourists who love hiking, or perhaps want to know more about some of the most famous hill tribes of Myanmar, read here a couple of things to do in the Shan state that you might want to add to your Myanmar bucket list…
47. Go off the beaten path and head to Kyain Tong (or Ken Tung) where some of the most famous hill tribes of Myanmar live.
48. See the thousands of buddhas in the Pindaya Caves.
49. Head further into the Shan state to Hsipaw, to go trekking in some of Myanmar’s most beautiful surroundings.
50. When visiting Hsipaw, be sure to take the train from Pyin Oo Lwin so you cross the famous Goteik Viaduct, the highest railway viaduct of Myanmar.
51. Make your way to Kalaw for a multi day trekking through beautiful fields to make your way to the scenic Inle Lake.
Things to do in Inle Lake
Last, but definitely not least, is the beautiful and scenic Inle Lake. A lush and one of the most refreshing destinations of Myanmar. Explore the beautiful lake and Inle Lake’s stunning surroundings. See the traditional fisherman, or simply relax and enjoy some wine while enjoying the view. Inle Lake has something for everyone’s liking, here are 11 things to do in Inle Lake…
52. See the long neck women of the Kayan tribe.
53. Visit Inle Lake’s beautiful floating gardens during a boat tour.
54. Head over to Red Mountain Estate Vineyards & Winery for a delicious wine with a beautiful view over the Inle Lake.
55. Head over to Indein Village to see the beautiful Shwe Inn Thein Pagodas.
56. Rent a bicycle and go for a ride around the lake. Cycle through small villages and find some of the most spectacular views over Inle Lake.
57. Go on a boat tour of the lake to see some of the villages on the lake and a whole lot more!
58. When doing the boat tour, make sure to see the traditional fishermen on the Inle Lake.
59. Head to Taunggyi to see over 2000 pagodas at Kakku Pagodas.
60. Awe at the Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda from the water when doing a boat tour.
61. Visit the handicraft shops when doing a boat tour.
62. Last, but definitely not least of the ultimate Myanmar bucket list is getting a traditional Burmese massage to relax after all the exploring.
Ultimate Myanmar Bucket List
And there you have it, over 60 things to do in Myanmar, the perfect list to help you create your ultimate Myanmar itinerary. Is there anything we have forgotten and we should add to the list? Be sure to tell us down below. Oh, and don’t forget to pin it!
Transparency: Some links on this page are affiliate links. This means that buying a product via these links, at no additional costs to you, earns me a small commission; these small commissions are what keeps this website going. I, nonetheless, only recommend products I personally use and believe in!