In the last couple of years Canggu has quickly became one of Bali’s most popular destinations. Travellers from all over the world come to Canggu for its laid back vibe, to enjoy the cafe scene and of course for the beautiful beaches of Canggu. The black sand coastline that is stretched along Canggu is known for being a surfers paradise where both beginner and advanced surfers try to catch the perfect wave. And while you will find surfers in the water from sun rise to sun set, you of course don’t have to be a surfer to enjoy Canggu’s beaches. Head over to the beach to work on that perfect tan, watch the sun set and perhaps even stay for a cocktail or two at one of the beach bars, Canggu’s beaches have something for everyone. So without further ado, here are the 5 most incredible beaches in Canggu.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that purchasing a product or service via these links may earn us a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
Beaches in Canggu
Berawa Beach is located South of Batu Bolong Beach and is the beach located closest to Seminyak. A long stretch of beach that is home to the well known Finns Beach Club and an endless amount of beach bars. Berawa Beach is one of those beaches where you come to grab a beanbag, order a drink and watch the sun set on the horizon. It is one of our favourite places in Canggu to come and relax, mainly because it has such a relaxed and laid back vibe. This beach is not the best place to go for a swim, but surfers will definitely enjoy the waves here. Compared to Batu Bolong Beach this beach is definitely a bit more quiet, especially in the waters.
Tips for visiting Berawa Beach
- Parking fee – The parking fee at Berawa Beach is 2,000 IDR.
- Best known for – Beach bars where you can get a drink and watch the sun set.
- Location – Berawa Beach is located a rough 10 min ride from Batu Bolong Beach, depending on traffic on the short cut of course.
- Facilities at Berawa Beach – Enjoy the sun loungers, grab a bean bag at one of the beach bars or rent a surfboard at one of the many surf rental shops!
Batu Bolong Beach
Batu Bolong Beach, situated at the bottom of Canggu’s main road, is one of Canggu’s most well known beaches. No matter what time of the day you will find yourself here, it will be a rarity to have this beach to yourself. The water is filled with surfers from sun rise to sun set as this is the spot to learn how to surf. Along the shores of the beach you will find beach bars such as Old Man’s and the Lawn, great places to get a drink and simply relax. As this is one of the easiest to reach beaches in Canggu this has quickly become one of Canggu’s most popular spots to watch the sun set, this is when the beach will not only be at its busiest, but also its liveliest.
Tips for visiting Batu Bolong Beach
- Parking fee – You can pay for parking in front of Old Man’s or take the turn right, pass the Lawn and park your bike for free a bit further down the road.
- Best known for – Learning how to surf. If you are planning on taking surfing classes then this is the place to be.
- Location – Batu Bolong Beach is located at the end of Jalan Batu Bolong, Canggu’s main street, find the exact location on the map.
- Facilities at Batu Bolong Beach – As Batu Bolong Beach is one of Canggu’s most popular beaches you will find everything here. Have a drink at a beach bar, rent surf boards, relax on a sun loungers or grab a fresh coconut from one of the vendors, Batu Bolong Beach has it all.
Talking about surfing, if you are a surf lover then Echo Beach is the place to be. Young, old, beginner and advanced surfers, even dogs surfing, you will find it all at Echo Beach. While this beach is not really suitable for swimmers due to the rocks in the water, it is still a great place to come and relax. Rent a sun lounger, chill at Echo Beach Club, enjoy a meal at La Brisa or simply grab a drink from one of the restaurants overlooking the beach, there is something for everyone here, even if you are not a surfer.
Tips for visiting Echo Beach
- Parking fee – There was no parking fee when we visited Echo Beach early in the morning.
- Best known for – Surfing and La Brisa Beach Club.
- Location – Echo Beach is located Northwest of Batu Bolong Beach, check the location here.
- Facilities at Echo Beach – There are surf classes and board rentals available for the surfers, but if you are coming to relax then you can just hire a sun lounger, pick a restaurant or even relax for a day at a beach club!
If you are looking to escape the crowded beaches of Canggu a bit, head over to Munggu Beach, a beach located roughly 20 min out of Canggu. Upon driving to the beach you will find yourself leaving the busy streets of Canggu and instead of road lined with cafes, shops and restaurants you will just be surrounded by the most stunning rice fields. Upon arriving at the beach you will notice how quiet this beach really is, perfect for a bit of relaxing and perhaps even to relax while watching the sun set. You will find a lot more locals on this beach (and a lot less foreigners) compared to the other beaches on this list, once we even witnessed a ceremony taking place right on the beach right when the sun was setting, a beautiful sight to see.
Tips for visiting Munggu Beach
- Parking fee – In January 2020 it was IDR 1,000 to park at Munggu Beach.
- Best known for – Being one of Canggu’s more quiet beaches with beautiful rice field surroundings.
- Location – Munggu Beach is located a short 20 min ride out of Canggu, find the exact location on the map.
- Facilities at Munggu Beach – There are a couple of stalls selling food and drinks, but no sun loungers so be sure to bring a towel if you are planning on sunbathing here!
If you are looking for a quiet beach in Canggu then this is definitely the place for you. A long stretch of black sand beach with no loungers or beach bars, a quiet beach that is a perfect place to escape the crowds. We love coming here in the early mornings for peaceful beach walks, but with a lack of shade on the beach we personally don’t recommend coming here during the heat of the day as it can get quite hot here with the black sand. This beach is sadly not the best beach for swimming due to the rocky bottom, but is still a great place if you are planning on catching some waves!
Tips for visiting Pererenan Beach
- Parking fee – In February 2020 it was 1,000 IDR to park at Pererenan Beach.
- Best known for – Being one of Canggu’s quietest beaches.
- Location – From Batu Bolong it is a rough 10 to 15 min ride to Pererenan Beach. Find the exact location here.
- Facilities at Pererenan Beach – The facilities at Pererenan Beach are very minimal. You will find a small restaurant at the entry to Pererenan Beach and one small beach shack selling a couple of items. Besides that the beach is practically empty, no lounge chairs, parasols or beach bars here.
Where to Stay in Canggu
We have stayed at over a handful of different accommodation in Canggu, and Lila Loka Homestay is the one we ended up falling in love with. Lila Loka Homestay has a great location with some of Canggu’s best cafes being within walking distance, friendly staff, a beautiful and refreshing pool and a great view over the rice fields, especially from the rooms on the upper floor. We would highly recommend staying here and honestly cannot wait to return to his homestay in the future!
How to get around Canggu
One of the easiest ways to get around Canggu would be by renting a motorbike or a scooter. While you technically could walk to the beaches (besides the last couple of beaches that are situated a bit out of Canggu) a scooter will allow you to not only get from one place to the other a bit faster, you will also be able to see more of Canggu. Renting a scooter is very affordable in Bali and prices often start at around $3 per day. Do know that the traffic in Bali can get quite chaotic so only rent a scooter if you feel comfortable and confident riding one. Should you decide to rent a scooter then don’t forget to wear a helmet, these are always included in the price when renting a scooter. Also, once you leave the beach be sure to put your t-shirt, tank top or dress back on as walking around Canggu in just your swim clothes can be considered quite rude.
And there you have it, the ultimate Canggu beach guide. From surfing to relaxing at the beach with a cocktail in your hand, in Canggu you can do it all. Now before you go, be sure to check out some of our other articles on Canggu filled with tips, tricks and sights that will help you create the perfect Bali itinerary:
- The best cheap eats in Canggu
- Canggu markets guide – The 3 best markets in Canggu!
- Canggu’s rice fields – Everything you need to know
- 12 Unforgettable things to do in Canggu